The subcommittee will mark up this bill at a meeting when it is marking up 4 other bills, three related to the District of Columbia and one related to supervisor training in small agencies.
Assuming the subcommittee passes the bill, the next steps are as follows:
- Mark-up and passage by the full committee
- Committee report written
- Referral to the Rules committee to set the rules for floor debate
- Debate on the House floor
- Referral to the Senate where it will be reviewed by the Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee and if unchanged sent on to the full Senate
- The Senate then debates the bill which will likely require a 60 vote majority for passage;
- If the bill passes unchanged it becomes law otherwise;
- the bill must pass through a conference committee and pass both Houses of Congress again.